Thursday, March 17, 2016

Book of Mormon Themes: Being Directed Continually by the Hand of the Lord

When I look at the big picture of the stories from the Book of Mormon, one the lessons they illustrate for me is how to receive the Lord's guidance so I navigate through life better. This is especially apparent in the stories of Lehi's family and the story of the Brother of Jared.


1 Nephi 16:16, 28 And we did follow the directions of the ball, which led us in the more fertile parts of the wilderness. I Nephi, beheld the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them.

1 Nephi 17:13 I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.

1 Nephi 18: 1-3 And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship. Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men. And I, Nephi, did go into mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.

Ether 2:5-6 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should go forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been. And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave directions whither they should travel. And it came to pass that they did travel in the wilderness, and did build barges, in which they did cross many waters, being directed continually by the hand of the Lord.

Ether 2:24-25 For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth. And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come.

Ether 3:2-3 O Lord, thou hast said that we must be encompassed about by the floods. Now behold, O Lord, and do not be angry with thy servant because of his weakness before thee; O Lord, thou hast given us a commandment that we must call upon thee, that from thee we may receive according to our desires.

Ether 6:7-8 7 And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them; therefore, when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters. And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters; and thus they were driven forth before the wind.

Wandering in the Wilderness due to Iniquity – i.e., if we are righteous, we won’t have to wander through life, we can take a more direct course.

1 Nephi 17:4 And we did sojourn for the space of many years, yea, even eight years in the wilderness.

Alma 37:41-43 41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey; Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions. And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow.

Ether 3:3 Behold, O Lord, thou hast smitten us because of our iniquity, and hast driven us forth, and for these many years we have been in the wilderness; nevertheless, thou hast been merciful unto us. O Lord, look upon me in pity, and turn away thine anger from this thy people, and suffer not that they shall go forth across this raging deep in darkness; but behold these things which I have molten out of the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment