Monday, January 30, 2017

How Can I Make My Prayers more Meaningful: Studying Great Prayers Found in the Scriptures

In trying to make my own prayers more meaningful, I decided to study some of the great prayers from the scriptures and also what modern prophets and apostles have said. When I face challenges or questions that really require sincere prayer, I have found that if I incorporate each of the 5 ideas listed below, I feel the Spirit of the Lord with me in much greater abundance.


Examples of Powerful Prayers from the Scriptures
Examples of Prayers
Dedication of Kirtland Temple D&C 109
Nephi (2 Nephi 4)
Brother of Jared
Ether 2 & 3
Modern Prophets & Apostles
1.    Expressions of Gratitude
1 Thanks be to thy name, O Lord God of Israel, who keepest covenant and showest mercy unto thy servants who walk uprightly before thee, with all their hearts—


Each prayer is tailored to its purpose, with a clear statement of what needs resolution, as well as ample expression of gratitude for specific, recognized blessings. E. Scott
Fourth, it is an opportunity to express thanksgiving and gratitude to our Creator. It is important that we frequently say: “We thank Thee … , “ “We acknowledge before Thee … ,” “We are grateful unto Thee …”
 Faust
2.    Requests for forgiveness

My heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
 18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
2 Now behold, O Lord, and do not be angry with thy servant because of his weakness before thee.
3 O Lord, look upon me in pity, and turn away thine anger from this thy people, and suffer not that they shall go forth across this raging deep in darkness.
Second, it is a sincere confession of sin and transgression and a request for forgiveness. E. Faust
Asking that Thou wilt forgive our arrogance, pass by our sins, be kind and gracious to us, and cause our hearts to turn with love toward Thee. Pres. Hinckley
3.    Acknowledging our dependence on Him


20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
2 Now behold, O Lord, and do not be angry with thy servant because of his weakness before thee; for we know that thou art holy and dwellest in the heavens, and that we are unworthy before thee; because of the fall our natures have become evil continually;
3 O Lord, look upon me in pity.
Third, it is recognition that we need help beyond our own ability. E. Faust
4.    Testimony that God has all power, love, and knowledge, and that He will answer our prayers

20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
 21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.
 22 He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.
35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss;
2 We must call upon thee, that from thee we may receive according to our desires. For we know that thou art holy and dwellest in the heavens.
4 And I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man; therefore touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger,
5 Behold, O Lord, thou canst do this. We know that thou art able to show forth great power, which looks small unto the understanding of men.
Prayer is a humble acknowledgment that God is our Father and that the Lord Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  As we pray we should think of our Father in Heaven as possessing all knowledge, love, understanding, & compassion. E.Faust
He confides in the certainty that His answer will come when most needed. E. Scott
Thou who art the governor of the universe, Thou who art our Father and our God, whose children we are, we look to Thee in faith in this dark and solemn time. Pres. Hinckley


Examples of Powerful Prayers from the Scriptures (cont.)
Examples of Prayers
Dedication of Kirtland Temple D&C 109
Nephi (2 Nephi 4)
Brother of Jared
Ether 2 & 3
Modern Prophets & Apostles
4.    Asking for Specific Blessings, acknowledging that His will be done
10 We ask thee to assist us, thy people, with thy grace, in calling our solemn assembly, that it may be done to thine honor and to thy acceptance;
 11 And in a manner that we may be found worthy, in thy sight, to secure a fulfilment of the promises which thou hast made unto us. 12 That thy holy presence may be continually in this house;
 13 And that all people who shall enter ... the Lord’s house may feel thy power.  15 And that they receive a fulness of the Holy Ghost. 22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power - Many more are listed
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?
 32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! ...that I may be strict in the plain road!
34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh;
19 O Lord, in them there is no light; whither shall we steer? And also we shall perish, for in them we cannot breathe, save it is the air which is in them; therefore we shall perish.
4 Touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth in darkness; and they shall shine forth unto us in the vessels
A key to improved prayer is to learn to ask the right questions. E. Scott
An important element of all of our prayers might well be to follow the pattern of that prayer in Gethsemane: “not my will, but thine, be done.” By this, then, we acknowledge our devotion and submission to the overriding purposes of the Lord in our lives.  --James E. Faust
5.    Acknowledging that we have kept the commandments
2 Thou who hast commanded thy servants to build a house to thy name in this place [Kirtland].
 3 And now thou beholdest, O Lord, that thy servants have done according to thy commandment.
5 For thou knowest that we have done this work through great tribulation; and out of our poverty we have given of our substance to build a house to thy name, that the Son of Man might have a place to manifest himself to his people.

18 The brother of Jared cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, I have performed the work which thou hast commanded me...



Other prayers to study: Jesus’ Intercessory Prayer, 

No comments:

Post a Comment